2011 Growing Greener Grant
In 2012, the PALMS Board was thrilled to be able to offer another round of mini-grants thanks to a second generous Growing Greener grant from PA DEP. Of twenty applications, ten projects sufficiently addressed the PALMS ranking criteria and PA DEP priorities to be awarded mini-grants. Seven of the awarded projects are located in the eastern region, one in the central region and two in the western region. Many of the projects received high scores in the review process by addressing multiple priorities for funding in their proposed scope of work. Seven of the projects include riparian buffer establishment, five address invasive plant control and four will stabilize lake shorelines.
Organizations and projects approved for mini-grant awards include:
- Western Pennsylvania Conservancy for the restoration of eroded shoreline and establishment of a native riparian buffer on Lake Pleasant (Erie County).
- Valley Kiwanis for sediment removal, riparian buffer establishment, shoreline stabilization, and invasive species removal at Whisper Willows Pond (Luzerne County).
- City of Lebanon for the installation of an aeration fountain and establishment of a forested buffer on an unnamed pond on a tributary to Stoever's Lake (Lebanon County).
- Hemlock Farms Community Association for invasive species removal, installation of vegetated swale and naturalized shallow detention ponds, and to establish shoreline buffer at McConnell Lake (Pike County).
- Lake Louise Lake Association for sediment removal, shoreline stabilization, establishment of vegetated buffer, and invasive species control at Lake Louise (Luzerne County).
- Conneaut Lake Aquatic Management Association for aquatic invasive species control in Conneaut Lake (Crawford County).
- Birchwood Lakes Community Association for sediment removal, construction of rock filters, and riparian buffer establishment at Birchwood Lake (Pike County).
- Association of Property Owners of the Hideout for shoreline stabilization and riparian buffer establishment at Roamingwood Lake (Wayne County).
- Lake Naomi Club for aquatic habitat restoration in Lake Naomi (Monroe County).
- Pocono Lake Preserve for aquatic invasive species control in Pocono Lake (Monroe County).